Friday, December 21, 2012

Have a Healthy Holiday!

"I can't believe I am getting sick, I have many guests coming over this weekend..."

"I just traveled back from business trip.  I don't feel well..."

"I have so much on my mind and so much to do... I can't be sick, I have to feel better!"

"I have a trip coming up during the holidays, and I am feeling sick..."


Working at an Urgent Care, I see patients who come in with acute illnesses on a daily basis.  I have noticed people are more susceptible to illness when they are stressed.

According to research from American Psychological Association, stress weakens the immune system.  The holidays are here, and I would like to share a few tips with you to keep your stress level low and immune system strong:

1. Don't forget to get plenty of sleep. Your sleep suffers when you have too much to do and too much to think about. But, sleep is an essential time when your brain and body recharge. The quality and amount of sleep you get affects your mood, energy level, concentration and overall function.

2. Stay active and keep hydrated. Try to stay with your routine physical activities.  Most adults need at least 20-30 minutes of moderate physical activity, five days a week. The key is finding the type of exercise that fits your age, schedule and interests.  Don't forget to drink 8-10 cups of water a day to stay healthy.

 3. Eat healthy.  People tend to overeat because food is everywhere during the holidays.  However, there are a few things you can try to keep your weight in check and stay healthy.  For one, serve yourself smaller portions and eat slowly so that you can tell more easily when you are satisfied.  Eat a healthy snack before holiday parties so that you don't go overboard on sweets, cheese or drinks.

4. Protect yourself from contracting the flu.  Flu season is here.  Washing your hands and getting vaccinated are good ways to stay healthy during the holiday season.

5. Listen to your body.  This time of year is filled with shopping, cooking, parties, sending cards and wrapping gifts.  Don't go overboard and exceed your ability.  Spend some time with yourself.

6. Stay connected with friends. Good friends are good for your health. Friendship can boost your happiness and reduce stress.  Friends can help you celebrate good times and provide support during bad times.

This holiday season, nourish your mind, body and spirit.  Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy holiday season!


Sources:
www.dining.ucla.edu